Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Future of Distance Learning

Education is a field that is constantly changing and adopting new best practices. As education has been traditionally a face-to-face setting, distance education has been around for many years in forms such as correspondence classes via mail, television, and even phone calls (Simondon, Smaldino, Albright, & Zvacek, 2009). Now in the 21st century distance learning will become even more prominent with the introduction of online classes and degrees that are being sought entirely from the comfort of ones own sofa.
In the distant and not-so distant future I believe that the perceptions of distance learning will be very different than they are today. Currently, I believe that some people do not give the respect to distance learning that they should. People are often surprised to know that I am seeking a master’s degree through a distance setting, and people are even more surprised to know that my high school is offering distance education courses. The misperceptions of distance learning are often that classes are easy and that there is very little time commitment involved. In the future, I do not think that there will be such a misunderstanding about distance courses because so many people will be involved in them. Distance courses will no longer be very rare, but will be something that students are exposed to at a very young age.
As an instructional designer it is imperative that I am an advocate for distance education. If poor perceptions exist of distance education, than it is my job as an instructional designer to make sure that students are exposed to a course that is academically rigorous and intellectually stimulating. I also have a responsibility as an instructional designer to make sure that I am an advocate for distance learning by welcoming an open dialogue and willingness to expose the general public to some of the work that learners at a distance are doing.
In my current position as a high school special education teacher, I see a very wide opportunity for me to be an advocate for positive chance in distance education. For some of my students, the typical classroom setting does not fit their learning style and academic needs. For many of these students, the ability to be able to complete these classes online at a pace and in a setting that is more conducive to their learning style may be extremely advantageous. As an instructional designer it is imperative that I am a voice for these students and bring this change to the K-12 setting.
Distance learning will change education forever. I believe that there is a clientele and a need for distance learning not only in higher education but in the K-12 setting as well. Giving credence for that and being the best advocate that I possibly can for this change will be an imperative calling.


Reference
Simonson, M., Smaldino, S., Albright, M., & Zvacek, S. (2009). Teaching and learning at a

Distance: Foundations of distance education (4th ed.) Boston, MA: Pearson.

2 comments:

  1. Gene,
    I am looking forward to following your blog and learning with you during our project management course!

    Deveise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This blog share really huge and good information about my searching topic. it's good to read it....

      Marketing Degrees

      Delete